Willow Run Runway 5R-23L Reconstruction
Wayne County Airport Authority (WCAA) operates the Willow Run Airport which consists of 2 major runways and one crosswind runway. Originally owned and built by Henry Ford in 1941 to construct B-24 Bombers for World War II, it is now used for Commercial and Cargo air traffic.
This project reconstructed the southern 2/3 of the runway along with Taxiway Bravo and Charlie connections.
Iafrate Construction has worked on numerous projects at Detroit Metropolitan Airport over the last 20 years.
Iafrate Construction was contracted by WCAA to perform a full depth reconstruction of 4,800 feet of Runway 5R/23L including new electrical, storm sewer, and concrete and asphalt paving.
This project was originally conceived as a two year project. But forward thinking, proper planning, and aggressive scheduling allowed the project to finish in one year to minimize the loss of a major runway to the airport.
Project Name: Willow Run 5r/23L Reconstruction
Location: Willow Run Airport
• 4,800 feet of Runway Reconstruction
• Removal of Runway 14/32
• 2,000 feet of Storm Sewer
• 24,000 feet of electrical duct bank.